This mosque was known as “Jameh el Mouhtasseb”, It is the first mosque built in ancient Saida.
Bab El-Saraya mosque is the oldest mosque ever known to the old city of Saida. They say that Sheik Al-Yaman Ibn Abi Al-Hag Aamdat al Talibiyin built it in 1202 A.D./598 H. The mosque is known today under the name of Jameh el Saraya because of its location on the same square as the entrance door to what used to be the palace of Fakhreddine II. Two main entrances lead to the two-domed prayer room. The mihrab is made of finely carved wood.
This post is also available in: عربي